These boat cleaning supplies are less harmful for the environment and are good choices for responsible boaters that want greener boating products
As boaters it is important for us to protect our most valuable resources – the environment and the water sources we enjoy. Choosing green and environmentally friendly cleaning products for our boat is one easy step we can take to keep our waters clean.
So what are green boat cleaning products and why are they important? Green or eco-friendly boat cleaning products are made of organic, phosphate-free and biodegradable soaps that will have the least negative impact on water, land and animal life. Boaters should try to avoid cleaners and soaps that contain toxins and chemicals because as you wash your boat (particularly in the water) the run-off goes right into the water. In addition to the negative impact on fish, birds and other wildlife, you also don’t want to fish or swim in water that is not clean.
The good news is that you do not need to compromise your desire to have a clean boat for your desire to boat in clean water. Many of today’s green boat cleaners and soaps are just as powerful as traditional chemical based cleaners. An increased awareness of green boating issues has made more eco-friendly product choices available for boaters.
When looking to buy green and eco-friendly boat cleaners and soap that will have a minimal impact on the environment, key terms to look for on packaging include:
- EPA-Certified “Design for the Environment” GreenSeal label
This basic all purpose boat cleaner is great for removing mildew or stains and preventing mildew on a boat. It is also very effective in removing black streaks or marks from fiberglass and vinyl boat seats. It’s a good green choice because it is nontoxic and biodegradable.
Known for being a good green cleaner choice, Simple Green is non-toxic and biodegradable, without harmful bleach. It is an environmentally-sensitive non-toxic cleaner/degreaser that really works and can be economically custom-diluted for many, many different uses.
Pure Oceans Crystal Boat Soap – Tough on dirt and highly effective for cleaning all marine surfaces, this concentrated eco-friendly formula works without harsh inorganic compounds or other harmful components. Works with fresh or salt water and contains no dyes or perfumes.
West Marine’s Pure Oceans green product brand also has an entire line of all purpose boat cleaners, boat soaps, bilge cleaner, boat wax and more:
- West Marine Pure Oceans Hull Cleaner Cleaner, 32 Oz.
- West Marine Pure Oceans Nanotec Fiberglass Cleaner Wax Wax, Qt.
- West Marine Aluminum Pontoon Cleaner Pure Oceans
- West Marine Pure Oceans Citrus Bilge Cleaner
- West Marine Non Skid Deck Cleaner Pure Oceans Cleaner, Quart
Also see our review of Seateak Quick Grip Handles for keeping yourself steady while cleaning your boat hull in the water!
You may also be interested in these articles:
Latest posts by Diane Seltzer (see all)
- Best Holiday Boating Posts and Images on Instagram - December 26, 2016
- 5 Hot New Boat Trends from 2016 Fort Lauderdale Boat Show - November 17, 2016
- West Marine Summer Super Sale on Boat Gear - June 23, 2016
- West Marine #2016Bucks4Me July 4th Selfie Contest - June 21, 2016
- Most Popular Boat Names for 2016 - May 20, 2016