America’s best family-friendly locations for fishing and boating in 2015 [INFOGRAPHIC]
Fishing is always a fun outdoor activity, both for adults and children alike. Whether you’re a family that’s headed out to fish for the first time or one that has been doing this for a very long time, there’s always something to look forward to in every trip. Often, it’s also the place that makes the adventure more fun. This is because each fishing and boating spot will always offer a different and unique experience.
Looking for a new cool spot to take your family fishing or boating this year? There are tons of great spots (about 100 in fact) all over America where you can enjoy the outdoors with your family and friends. With this number of options, you know that you can find one that meets your preferences as a family. The key is for you to list them all down, then browse through each, one at a time. That way, you can make a selection as to which ones to go to and which to forego.
TakeMeFishing.org, the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF) campaign to promote fishing & boating, pulled together a top 100 list of locations that are ideal for families who love to fish & boat. With the help of state and wildlife agencies in the U.S., Take Me Fishing first compiled a list of 250 family-friendly locations across America to go fishing or boating. The list was then narrowed down to a top 100 based on votes by anglers, boaters and outdoors enthusiasts.
If you’re on the hunt for new fishing spots to visit, you’re in luck. Here, you have access to this list as a part of your fishing guide. These family-friendly fishing and boating locations were judged based on the following qualities:
- The spots are within an hour drive of a major city or town, so they are easily accessible. These make them perfect for a weekend getaway since you don’t’ have to drive too far, draining the kids along the way. Should you need to stop by anything along the way, there’s also that element of accessibility.
- Have a public body of water that is known for having plenty of common fish species such as bass, crappie, bluegill and trout. Often times these public places are stocked with fish. With a variety of fish options, kids are sure to have a fun time! It’s like a science class, only that they’re able to come face-to-face with these different species.
- Amenities such as: playgrounds and campgrounds, picnic areas, restrooms and parking spaces.
- Plenty of places to cast a line, like a fishing pier. May also have a boat ramp to allow you to reach other areas by boat. With an abundance of opportunities, you don’t even have to worry about getting a catch. All you’ve got to do is prepare the needed fishing gear, then you’re off to a great fishing adventure.
- Recommended by other anglers! Anglers from across the U.S. cast their vote and thought these parks offered some of the best fishing spots in the country.
“Fishing and boating are great ways to spend time with family and friends; and most people aren’t even aware that by participating in the sport, they’re actually helping to conserve our environment,” said RBFF President and CEO Frank Peterson.
The top 10 spots, among the 100, selected were:
- Everglades National Park, FL
- Bahia Honda State Park, Big Pine Key, FL
- Blue Springs State Park, Orange City, FL
- Kissimmee State Park, Lake Wales, FL
- Keystone State Park, Derry, PA
- Clear Lake State Park, Kelseyville, CA
- Skyway Fishing Pier State Park, St Petersburg, FL
- Galveston Island State Park, Galveston, TX
- Presque Isle State Park, Erie, PA
- Lackawanna State Park, North Abington, PA
To see the full list of the Top 100 Family and Boating Spots in the U.S., check out the infographic below for listings by region of the country.
If your family loves fishing as a weekend activity for everyone, now you have a hundred options to choose from. If you’re from the United States, it’s to your advantage that there’s just so many fishing sites. Especially as the summer starts to approach very soon, taking the whole family out to outdoor activities will soon be the norm. Granted, your kids are going to love a good fishing trip.
Choose from among this list or have them all in your bucket list. Then, see yourself tick them off, one weekend or holiday at a time.
Disclosure: This site may contain links that are affiliated with companies where we receive compensation. Also, as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Full disclosure policy.
You may also be interested in these articles:
Latest posts by Diane Seltzer (see all)
- Boat Winterization – How to Winterize Fresh Water & Raw Water Systems on Your Boat - November 8, 2020
- Rheos Floating Polarized Sunglasses for the Boat - October 12, 2020
- How to Fix Marine Air Conditioner Hi PS Error & Trigger Failure - September 12, 2020
- Heavy Duty and Collapsible Dock Cart for Your Boat - May 29, 2020
- Last Day on the Boat – End of Another Boating Season - January 9, 2019