The Darwin Awards for boating highlight simple boating rules that any fool can follow to stay safe on the water
The folks at Safeboater.com have put together another list of unbelievable boating stories that highlight boating accidents that could have – or should have – been avoided.
The “Darwin Award” is basically an award given to people who “do a service to humanity by removing themselves from the gene pool”. Sounds kind of rough, but these people acted so recklessly on the water that its no wonder they did not survive.
These 9 boaters featured should each be given a Darwin Award based on their outrageously unsafe behavior on the water. Each wild boating accident story could have each been avoided by following very simple boating rules.
The Darwin Award list includes zany stories such as:
- A man participating in an extreme boating sport “snowmoboarding” without a lifejacket
- A university rugby captain who thought it would be fun to take a canoe on a river in 50 MPH winds
- A man inadvertently blasted a hole in the bottom of his rowboat with a quarter stick of dynamite – to kill fish
Read more about these Darwin Boating Safety Tips for a subtle reminder of the simple boating safety precautions everyone should take while boating.
Safeboater.com has also put together a list of 23 Worst Boating Accidents that offers stories on even more outrageously stupid boating accidents over the years.
Simple things like wearing lifejackets (especially for kids or on smaller boats), not overloading a small boat or understanding basic boat safety rules can help boaters avoid unnecessary boating accidents.Disclosure Policy: This site may contain links that are affiliated with companies where we receive compensation. Full disclosure policy.
You may also be interested in these articles:
Latest posts by Diane Seltzer (see all)
- More Than 63,000 Boats Damaged or Destroyed by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma - November 10, 2017
- Best Time of the Year to Donate a Boat to Charity - June 21, 2017
- Boating with Your Dog – How to Keep it Fun & Safe - June 18, 2017
- New Pandora Radio Boating Station: West Marine Waterlife Radio - May 9, 2017
- Best Holiday Boating Posts and Images on Instagram - December 26, 2016